Our BMW 745i Executive-85
In November-2000 we purchased another 745, which will be the next reference
design. The car is 1985 Executive model with only 138.000 km (86.000 miles)
in the meter. It was in excellent condition with all the extras available from
BMW at that time. According to the original factory invoice the total price
was DM 104.727 in Jan-85. We bought it from the original owner, who had kept
it in the garage for the past 5 years.
We will restore it to original condition and install most of the upgrades including
the Turbo Upgrade, Instrument Cluster with turbo pressure, oil pressure, fuel
pressure and oil temperature instruments, high performance front and rear brake
disks and 2*2.5 inch exhaust system. Halmeter AFR30 O2 sensor/mixture monitor
and Cartech fuel pressure regulator will also be installed as recommended by
John Stein in his user report.
Our goal is to reach something between steps 2 and 3 as described in our 3.4L
reference design. The power goal is 500 BHP.
You will see the progress of this work in these web
From Nov-2000 till May-2002 the car was in Spain, where we did the basic checkup
to the car. As it had been storaged for the past 5 years many hoses and other
parts had to be replaced due to lack of use. In general, the body is in very
good condition without any major wear or rust.
Summary of the restoration work done in Spain:
- Injectors were rebuilt by authorized Bosh company
- New ignition wires
- New spark plugs - Note that one step cooler plugs should be used with higher
than standard boost pressures!
- Modified Motronic code
- Modified Waste Gate with dual adjustments
- Checked every line/sensor to/from Motronic. All OK.
- Checked whole fuel chain. All OK. - Note that BMW uses both 2.5 and 3.0
bar fuel pressure regulators in M30/M102 engines. Some people have changed
the 745 regulator from 2.5 bar (original) to 3.0 bar due to some other problems
in the engine with seemingly good results. DO NOT do it. The engine will run
rich and fuel consumption will go up by min. 17%!
- Electrical engine fan did not work. Changed the 91 and 99 C sensors and
some bad connectors.
- Self leveling system did not work. Repaired the pump as per instructions
given by Steve Cotsirilos. It works great now! As a result we agreed
to cooperate with Steve in SLS Pump repairs for European customers. We can
repair your SLS system to last as long as your super car. Don't throw away
that excellent system with first problems!
- Front brake disks were bent due to long storage. The disks were uneven
underneath the brake pads. As the disks were almost as new we just ground
- Rear brake disks were replaced by special cooled racing disks.
- New battery
- Dashboard instruments operated randomly or incorrectly. Replaced main PCB.
- Electric antenna stuck. New antenna.
- Replaced most of temperature and pressure sensors in engine and brake systems
just for security reasons.
- Buffalo leather interior was cleaned and treated with "Color Plus"
SOFTENER. Some parts were already recolored with Color Plus SURFLEX Dye.
The car is now in Finland, where we continue the work. You may be interested
in Trip Report Malaga-Helsinki 3.5.2002-8.5.2002